Friday 18 May 2012

First free promotion day results

So, the first free promotion of Humanless is over and I want to share my experience with everyone who's thinking of publishing with KDP Select. It's the first free day that I've ever done and I'm more than happy with the results - 648 downloads in just a day! Humanless went from 3486 to 4 in Contemporary Fantasy section! But more importantly, this means that 648 people will read my book (hopefully)! That's been my goal from the start - make my book widely available for people to actually read. I'm not in it solely for the money - I've had my fair share of well-paid jobs which I didn't enjoy. I'm in it for the long run - I want people to read my books, enjoy them and help me grow as a writer.
That was why I decided to go with KDP Select. I don't care if most of my downloads are on the free days, on the contrary. I'm ecstatic that so many people got my book. A lot of people on forums and blogs disapprove of giving away books for free - I even had a comment how those 648 downloads could have been paid and I could have made a lot of money from it. True, if that's your goal. Mine is to entertain people with my writing.
Don't get me wrong here, I'd love it if my books start making money so that I can actually pay a bill or two. But that's not a priority for me at this time.
I'd recommend KDP Select wholeheartedly. Try it, even just for the first 3 months, I'm sure that it would be worth it in the end. After all, what good is a book gathering dust on a virtual bookshelf with nobody to read it even if you make money with every download?
On another note, competition for winning some wonderful prizes is still open - check previous post for details and a photo of some of the prizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment