Monday 8 June 2015

Rainbow Book Fair, NYC and a girls holiday

I know, I know... I'm super late writing this post! It's been over a month since I came back from NYC but life has been crazy and I'm so bad at regular blogging...
Anywhooo, they say better late then never, right? That's certainly true for a lot of things, including blogging, haha!
I've been desperate to go to New York for ages, but I never found the time, money or reason to make it happen. So when I stumbled upon Rainbow Book Fair, I knew that was my chance! I loved what I saw about the book fair and I really wanted to be a part of it, plus - it would give me a reason to visit one of the most iconic cities in the world. Win-win!
And it was! I went with my sister for about a week and we had an amazing time. It was a girls holiday and I loved it. My sister was even more excited than me about going to NYC, so I had someone to share my enthusiasm with.
Before I go into any more detail about the city and the trip itself, let me just say that I had a fabulous time at Rainbow Book Fair and I'm definitely planning on going again next year. I shared a table with my dear friend Rhys Ethan and we had so much fun!




We met with readers who were enthusiastic about the genre and who were happy to stop and chat; we met fellow authors who we've only chatted on Facebook with and who turned out to be so sweet and welcoming! I can't wait to see everyone again at the other book events I have planned for the rest of the year, mainly Euro Pride Con and UK Meet.
The organisers of the event - all of them volunteers who did not get paid - were simply flawless. The event was very well organised and we all know how hard that is to do for an event of that size. Everyone was really helpful and really friendly, and it'd be a pleasure to attend the event again.
As for NYC itself, it's a city that needs to be experienced. We've all seen countless movies set in New York and somehow I felt like I knew the city before I even got there. I was wrong. I might have known some of the sights by name, but that was about it. New York is a vibrant place, a place where contradictions hit you harder than expected and where you can be swallowed and eaten alive. But it's also a fun place, somewhere where you can be yourself and if you show it who's boss, it'll treat you right.
I don't know if any of that will make any sense to anyone who's never been there, but I'm not going to bore you with an account of our sightseeing, daily manicures, way too many cocktails and late nights. New York is something different for everyone, it really depends on what you're looking to find there.
If I had to sum up my trip in a few pictures, it would be these:















Oh, and when you do visit NYC, go see a musical on Broadway! Book it well in advance though - we went to see Aladdin (it was brilliant!!!) and booked our tickets in December! The theatre was packed, I couldn't see a single available space.

Till next time!! xx 


No comments:

Post a Comment